Concert Dates

GRATITUDE CONCERT
with special guest Laura Sandage!
When: December 18th 7-9pm
Where: Davis Odd Fellows Hall
Tickets are $20 on sale now at Armadillo Music in downtown Davis!

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Exotic Animals




Growing up, I thought I would live in some kind of high tech, ultra modern mansion in Beverly Hills. Better yet, Bel Air! (which is sort of the rich man’s Beverly Hills) I know… “Huh?” – But it’s true. And that’s where I wanted to be.

I figured I’d have some kind of snazzy, red sports car, a motorcycle (we already know how much I love motorcycles) and exotic animals. Exotic meaning purebred Alaskan Malamutes, Siamese cats and colorful salt water fish.

- So why am I out in the middle of (a very lovely) nowhere… with a pet mouse; (actually bought at the pet store, although the field mice that get in are so cute I’d keep them as pets if they weren’t so terrified), 3 goats (who jump up and down and twirl like dogs when they’re being fed), and 7 chickens (who like to eat their eggs as much as I do!)? (True. They peck their own eggs. Farmers have all kinds of theories as to why: The eggs accidently crack and the chickens realize their youngins are yummy!; They need more calcium; ...They’re bored. All I know is that it’s annoying. And I’ve warned them more than once that if they keep it up they will end up on a plate. (I'm not a vegetarian.)

Recently, my 9 year-old son invented and constructed a new contraption for the hen coop: A row of laying boxes that are slightly slanted. So, as soon as the chicken gets her butt off of the egg, it rolls backwards onto a padded wall and then drops into a protected chute. And it works(!) … most of the time - well, enough of the time for me to think he’s a genius!!

Oh… that’s why I’m here.

No comments:

Post a Comment